The Yale Poorvu Center Educational Technology team is looking for a self-motivated, team-oriented individual to work with our community of faculty, teaching fellows, students and support partners in their use of our learning management system, Canvas, and related external applications. The ideal candidate will have experience administering a learning management system and with instructional design, and have a patient, service-oriented approach to the use of technology in general. The Assistant Director will work with three other colleagues reporting to the Director of Educational Technology, and is an integral part of a cohesive team that enjoys working together in support of our Yale University’s core mission.
Learning Management System (Canvas) and External Applications
This position will provide technical and pedagogical support to help faculty accomplish their teaching and learning objectives within an approved set of educational technology. The Educational Technology team primarily supports faculty and teaching fellows who teach and support courses through Yale College, Yale Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, and offers both direct and indirect support to our professional schools that use Canvas as their primary learning management system (LMS). This Assistant Director works with other the Poorvu Center teams and our support partners in the professional schools, as well as, our key partners in Information Technology Services, the University Registrar’s Office, and the Yale University Library. When members of our community identify a teaching and learning need for which we do not yet have a technical solution, the Assistant Director will work with the Educational Technology team to gather requirements, test, evaluate, document, and, in some cases, implement the new tool.
- provide direct support to teaching staff and students using technology for teaching and learning, centered around Canvas as our core LMS; includes responding to cases, email, phone, in person support, and occasional in-classroom support.
- conduct one-on-one faculty consultations; design and hosting workshops
- create and maintain online and print documentation; collaboratively maintain our public web presence, and publish regular service and support news updates
- establish relationships with faculty to participate in a continuous dialog around growing teaching and learning objectives, strategies, and trends.
- collaborate with the Educational Technology team and other Poorvu Center colleagues, support and manage technology pilots and maintain ongoing relationships with third party vendors of external applications that integrate with the LMS.
- participate in an annual review of existing external applications, usage analytics, faculty/student feedback and evaluation of utility and usefulness to our community.
Poorvu Center Initiatives
As part of the larger Poorvu Center, additional opportunities include collaborative support for other teams at the Poorvu Center as needed; this includes the teams supporting Zoom, Panopto, our Digital Education team in support of online degree, non-degree and certificate programs, and Faculty Teaching Initiatives with programming for workshops and course redesign institutes.
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least five years of experience of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Passion and excitement for supporting the most widely used academic applications at Yale with a goal oriented, collaborative, and problem solving mindset.
- Demonstrated experience managing distributed work through a ticketing system, such as ServiceNow or Salesforce.
- Collaboratively complete the service oriented work without need for delegation. Service oriented attitude, self motivated to stretch and learn. Enthusiasm, interest, and flexibility in acquiring new or emerging technology skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Masters in Instructional Technology, Instructional Design, or related field; at least 5 years related work experience in higher education; 3-5 years supporting and administering an LMS; proficiency in and experience applying instructional design principles, standards and methodologies in developing learning objects and course materials.
- Provide support on the technical use of and effective implementation methods for the learning management system (Canvas) and integrated external applications (Gradescope, Turnitin, Playposit, Panopto, Zoom, and more).
- Self-driven customer service mindset in collaborative team environment, contributing to a balanced team support structure with independence and requests for assistance over delegation; familiarity with ticketing systems, such as Salesforce and ServiceNow a plus.
- Maintain the highest possible degree of service and responsiveness in a complex, multi-vendor, multi-platform environment.
- Consult with faculty to assess instructional technology needs and develop/implement solutions to meet those needs and adhere to recognized pedagogical standards. Deliver technical and pedagogical expertise and provide recommendations in researching, evaluating and implementing new instructional technologies.
- Review content on public web pages to ensure content is up to date; familiarity with content management systems such as Drupal and Wordpress a plus.
- Partner with other Poorvu Center teams to deliver collaborative events touching on multiple topics for a common audience, such as teaching institutes for faculty, certificate programs for graduate students, or tutoring services for undergraduates.
- Interest and experience with fundamental of programming and/or academic data analytics a plus.
- Some schedule flexibility required at certain times of year (e.g. weekend support coverage, occasional evening workshops), as well as other duties as assigned.
Find out more
Apply online using the Yale University careers portal. This job was posted on March 24, 2021. Job requisition number: 64730BR. Please address cover letters to Pilar Abuin, Director of Educational Technology, Yale Poorvu Center.
Yale University’s Poorvu Center is currently working remote, but will return to in-person work at 301 York Street, New Haven, CT 06511 by the Fall 2021 semester.