The Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is seeking a motivated undergraduate student for a part-time internship for the duration of the 2018-2019 academic year. The Communications and Events Management Assistant will work the CTL Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) education and evaluation team to assist in STEM education program communications and in managing and publicizing events.
The CTL STEM education and evaluation team leads national development initiatives for faculty and future faculty that promote excellence in undergraduate STEM education, including the Summer Institutes on Scientific Teaching (SI) (http://summerinstitutes.org/), the CTL STEM education seminar series, and the Yale Scientific Teaching Course. The Communications and Events Management Assistant will work closely with the STEM Education Program Directors.
The Communications and Events Management Assistant will receive training in a range of skills relating to effective communication tools and methods, STEM education, alumni data management, and web development in order to: 1.) maintain the SI and CTL websites; 2.) assist in managing seminars, webinars, and other events; and 3.) utilize data management techniques to improve the communications with and tracking of program alumni.
Begin Date: August 15, 2018
End Date: May 15, 2018
Hours: Part-time (10 hours/week)
- Preferred availability for working a majority of 10 hours per week in 2 to 3 hours chunks at the CTL.
- Excellent organizational, written communication, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, particularly with written communications and data entry.
- Experience with basic web development, preferably the Wix development platform.
- Experience with Google Applications (spreadsheets, docs, and forms).
- Ability to work both individually and as a part of a team.
- Interest in scientific research, event management, and/or STEM education.
- Ability to follow directions, ask questions, and work closely with management.
- Quick responses to small communication requests via email (e.g., social media updates, job postings, news).
- Experience working with Qualtrics data.
- Experience working with the Wix web development platform.
- Familiarity with journal article searches and reviews.
- Update existing SI website with new job postings, educational resources, literature, webinars, copy, design features, and news.
- Periodically post news and events to social media.
- Disseminate, proofread, and test STEM team communications including newsletters, professional development programs, website updates, social networking, emails, and community announcements.
- Assist in the recruitment and publicity of the annual SI program.
- Create Google forms for basic survey data collection and track responses.
- Publicize and assist CTL staff in managing the STEM education seminar events.
- Publicize the weekly CTL education journal club.
- Assist in creating and managing an alumni database for the CTL Scientific Teaching Fellows Course