Under the direction of the Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) Director of Finance & Administration, with latitude for exercising discretion and independent judgment, performs a variety of analytical and financial functions for the Poorvu Center. Responsible for providing financial information through the interpretation, analysis, reporting, and reconciliation of data. Identifies risks and trends and develops analyses and reports that will inform and advise decision-making by department leadership. Produces ad-hoc projections and analysis for existing and new and existing programs. Participates fully in the budget, forecast, and year-end processes. Manages all aspects of the Monthly and Quarterly Financial Checklist process. Maintains all of the Financial and Labor plans within YBT. Recommends improvements to systems, methods, practices and procedures through detailed information review. Must demonstrate a strong attention to detail. Ensures that the unit is compliant in all areas of fiscal and administrative responsibility. Oversees academic appointment process for residential college tutoring program. Serves as point of contact for staff and provides guidance with a high level of customer service on all facets of financial management. Samples of reports and writing required.
The Poorvu Center culture is characterized by teamwork and respect. Together we are stronger than any one of us alone, and each individual brings valuable skills and experiences to advance our collective mission. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and want everyone to feel that they belong in our organization and in our institution. We also recognize that these values require a long-term commitment to implement inclusive practices in our daily work.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Finance and four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong financial modeling and quantitative skills and the ability to work independently, use good judgment, and lead analytical projects.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to create new and complex reports (Excel, Word, etc) for tracking, analysis and communication of financial information. Strong background in finance and financial analysis.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent interpersonal skills along with negotiation and consensus building skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Comfortable in a fast-changing environment and have the ability to adapt quickly, multitask and work under pressure and meet deadlines. The position requires a high level of flexibility and organization, and Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Understanding of Yale’s Financial and Administrative systems including Workday, YBT. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Finance and four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts and business analysis and strategy.
1. Financial Modeling and Forecasting. Provides technical analysis to determine present and future financial performance. Organizes information from a variety of sources for use in analyzing future plans and forecasts. Collaborates with all levels of management, both internally and externally, to gather, analyze, summarize, prepare, and present recommendations regarding financial plans and other complex financial matters. Researches and evaluates information to resolve issues and makes recommendations. Develops and/or executes complex financial models.
2. Financial Analysis and Reporting. Analyzes and synthesizes information and designs and creates accurate and timely reports. Designs financial reporting to meet the compliance needs of internal and external users. Extracts and consolidates data from multiple sources.
3. Financial Methods and Systems. Contributes to the planning and improvement of practices, processes and systems. Collaborates with all levels of internal and external contacts to carry out department goals. Provides a high level of service that cultivates and maintains strong working relationships and communicates effectively; takes ownership and accountability for timeliness, accuracy and relationship management.
4. Strategic Resource. Translates department finance goals into objectives. Identifies and raises potential financial opportunities, issues, risks, ideas and solutions. Identifies the appropriate stakeholders to include in consultations, communications, approvals or buy-ins for designing and implementing changes.
5. Compliance and Risk Management. Establishes, implements and/or maintains strong internal controls in areas of assigned responsibility to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resource use, accurate financial information, and adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements.
6. Mentors, leads and/or supervises staff.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.
Find out more
Please view the full job description and apply here, within the Yale STARS system.