The Yale University Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning culture is characterized by teamwork and respect. Together we are stronger than any one of us alone, and each individual brings valuable skills and experiences to advance our collective mission. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and want everyone to feel that they belong in our organization and in our institution. We also recognize that these values require a long-term commitment to implement inclusive practices in our daily work.
The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning seeks a Video Producer/Editor who will increase the visibility of Yale University through all forms of multimedia and distribution channels. The position will reside within the Yale Broadcast Studio and report to a senior member of that team. The Video Producer/Editor will contribute to all phases of production for a wide variety of audio, video, and digital content with a particular focus on educational content. The Video Producer/Editor will work as part of a team of technological and pedagogical experts to create academic content for initiatives supported by the Poorvu Center. One example initiative is the University’s portfolio on the Coursera massive open online course platform, which, as of February 1, 2022, had more than 8.5 million enrolled learners around the world. This position will also be asked to work independently to record events in the field such as Yale College courses or guest lectures from world leaders.
Content Production: As part of the Poorvu Center, the Yale Broadcast Studio provides content production services to a variety of educational initiatives including massive open online courses, online degree programs, and technology enhanced residential courses. The Video Producer/Editor will engage in all phases of production for these and related projects.
Field Recording: The Yale Broadcast Studio is responsible for recording dozens of events each year for live and on-demand distribution. The Video Producer/Editor must work with their manager and community partners to ensure high-quality audio and video capture of events. The Video Producer/Editor should also have a working knowledge of video encoding for live broadcast.
Studio Operation: The Yale Broadcast Studio facility houses three separate video studios and one audio studio. The Video Producer/Editor will be called on to provide support to studio productions. Support needs could include lighting/grip, floor manager, audio assistant, or production assistant.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree with 2 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in media production or related field and 2 years of experience in media production or an equivalent combination.
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of: ENG/EFP field production, post-production, studio facility operation, and computer-based presentation capture. The candidate must have a working knowledge and facility with digital cinema cameras and DSLR or mirrorless cameras.
- Proficiency with production tools used to create/capture educational media such as Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder, Audition and other tools in the Adobe’s Creative Suite
- Demonstrated ability to encode and upload digital assets to online and social media platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and demonstrate careful attention to detail. Ability to communicate effectively and collaboratively with peers across the University. Demonstrated commitment to excellent client service.
- Demonstrated ability to: take direction and yet act independently; work effectively as a member of a team. Possess the ability to remain calm under pressure and comfortable with a fast-paced work environment. Demonstrated ability to be a creative problem-solver.
- Participate in all phases of production from idea conception to recording to final editing for a variety of content, with a particular focus on educational content.
- Collaborate with an internal team of technological and pedagogical experts as well as clients, including faculty and senior administrators, to integrate video and other multimedia formats into lectures, teaching material, and other communications.
- Provide perspectives on solutions for the high-quality capture of media during field productions and in identifying and evaluating new methods for creating educational media components.
- Collaborate with other A/V and media groups when recording on campus to ensure highest production standards are met.
- Assist in managing the intake of media files.
- Generate and maintain accurate documentation on all project related activities, equipment status, and project billing.