One-on-One Peer Consultations
Each student’s goals, responsibilities, and challenges are unique. An individual meeting with a peer academic mentor can help you identify and focus on your goals and develop the strategies that work best for you.
Here’s what happens in our individual meetings:
- You’ll get acquainted with your mentor.
- The mentor will invite you to talk about the questions on which you are seeking advice.
- You’ll discuss what has worked well for you previously, and brainstorm with the mentor new approaches to try.
- At the end of the session, you’ll create a plan for implementing the new strategies you’ve discussed.
- Finally, you’ll set up a future check-in appointment with the same mentor to follow up on how things are going.
In Fall 2020, all meetings will be virtual. Once you sign up for a meeting via our online scheduler, you will have access to a Zoom link. You may also request meetings via phone or other platforms.
If you would like to meet with the same mentor multiple times during the semester, please email us at email@example.com to be matched with a mentor
What Students Have Said About 1-1 Mentoring:
“I originally came to Academic Strategies looking for weekly meetings to hold myself accountable to incremental goals in my coursework. My mentor not only helped me manage my time and create a realistic schedule, but provided me with really substantive advice–for example, he encouraged me to reach out to professors, graduate students, and researchers in my department other than my advisor to discuss my thesis, which I previously had not thought of and proved to be very helpful. I wish I had known about Academic Strategies sooner, and I think most Yale students would greatly benefit from it.“