Faculty Bulldog Days
(Pictured above: Professor David Evans teaches his course, "Dynamic Earth," during Faculty Bulldog Days in October 2016 with attendee Joseph Wolenski, Research Scientist and Lecturer in the Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology Department.)
Upcoming Faculty Bulldog Days:
- Faculty are invited to complete the "Open My Course" form: Deadline of October 16, 2020
- The Poorvu Center compiles a course catalog of teaching examples
- Faculty are invited to register for access to the Canvas Virtual Faculty Bulldog Days site: October 22 - December 23
The Vice Provost for Academic Initiatives, Pericles Lewis, invites faculty at Yale to take part in Faculty Bulldog Days each semester. Faculty open their classes to their peers in the spirit of making teaching more public. This presents an opportunity to observe the wealth of deep knowledge addressed in our courses every day and to become more engaged in our community of scholars.
Open your course: Submit course details and content
Ready to Participate?
Explore a new discipline or watch a class across campus to interact with colleagues that you might not see on a regular basis. You’ll learn a lot from experts in their field and you might consider adapting an exercise or seminar format for your discipline. Participants and hosts are encouraged to discuss teaching at Yale. If you have not taught in front of your peers, consider opening your class for the first time!
Yale’s Poorvu Center has sponsored this initiative since spring 2015. Each semester, faculty have opened more than 90 courses to their peers and more than 100 community members register to attend at least one of the open courses. More than 700 unique people have taken part in this initiative. Past FBD dates:
- April 6 – 10, 2015
- October 26 – 30, 2015
- April 11 – 15, 2016
- October 3 – 7, 2016
- February 27 – March 3, 2017
- October 2 - 6, 2017
- April 9 - 13, 2018
- October 8 - 12, 2018
- April 8 - 12, 2019
- October 28 - November 1, 2019
- Online: April - July, 2020
- 82% of people were extremely satisfied with their overall Faculty Bulldog Days experience.
- “I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed my experience with Faculty Bulldog Days. The two classes I attended were very interesting, it was a treat to learn and think about things outside of my usual work.” - Leslie Sude M.D. | Assistant Clinical Professor | Yale University School of Medicine
- One respondent stated a new found respect for "having close interactions with students to increase their engagement"